Look for upcoming classes -- Spring 2014
American Red Cross Lifeguarding Course:
Lifeguard classes are held primarily from March to May each year. Participants who successfully complete the course will receive an American Red Cross certification in lifeguarding/first aid/CPR/AED valid for two years.
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
- Must be able to pass the prerequisite swim test:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breathing control using the front crawl and breaststroke.
- Swim 20 yards (front crawl or breaststroke), surface dive to a depth of 6 feet, swim 10 feet along the bottom and retrieve a 10 lb object, then swim on back, holding the object, to the starting point and exit the water without using a ladder or steps. This must be completed within 1 minute and 40 seconds.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only legs, with both hands under armpits.
For more information on these courses, please contact our Aquatics Department at 531-5082.